Sunday, January 24, 2010

Black and Gold, SUPERBOWL!!!!



The Saints are going to the Superbowl for the first time in franchise history. On Sunday, January 24th, 2010, the Saints beat the Minnesota Vikings in overtime by a score of 31-28 to join the Colts in Miami.

Christy came over to watch the game with me since Gary was out of town for work. She stated that I should never watch a game like this by myself in case I dislocated my knee from dancing and jumping around or passed out from holding my breath on Booth reviews. Funny. Gary called me the last few minutes of overtime when the Saints would kick the game winning field goal. I cried...a lot.

The Saints mean so much to that city. Growing up there, you can't help but be a Saints fan. That's really all there is!!! Even when the team was affectionately referred to as the "A'ints", people still bought tickets and showed up to the Super Dome with paper bags on their head because there is nothing else to do!!! Sad? Yes, but it's a reality. The Saints became even more of a crutch to the city after Katrina.

As a child, I remember going to the Saints practice facility on David Drive. I remember meeting Bobbie Hebert. I also remember how my friends mom almost passed out when he walked out of the building. I thought she was silly, but now I can totally relate! I heart Drew Brees! There are a few differences between Bobby Hebert and Drew Brees. The most obvious difference is that, well, Drew Brees is a great football player, AKA the surgeon (that's so cheesy). But more than that, he came to a city that was so broken and vowed to fix it on and off the field. He has a charity program that gives millions of dollars to cancer research and helping to rebuild schools, playgrounds and athletic programs in New Orleans. Now, he has lead the Aints to their first Superbowl, ever. And the city rejoiced! I would have given anything to be there, but instead, I kneeled on the floor while on the fun phone with my honey as we watched the unbelievable end to this game. And I cried.

Even if they don't win the Superbowl, I'm so proud of the Saints and what they accomplished this year. Saints in the Superbowl. Who would have thunk it?

No comments:

Post a Comment