Friday, March 5, 2010

Silly me...

If any one knows me, they know what an air head I am. It's kinda my M.O. I've always gotten through life thinking that nothing was that big of a deal. Whatever happens, it's OK. There are many examples in my life and things generally turn out fine. For example, one week when Gary was out of town (I think it was the two weeks he was in New Zealand), and I went out in our backyard in my fuzzy slippers and robe to enjoy a cup of coffee. As I closed the back door, I realized that the bottom lock was locked. You know the kind of lock...the one you can open from the inside but locks your ass out on the outside. Yep. So, here I am in my fuzzy slippers and robe with no phone, no spare keys in the country and no dignity. I had an "uh-oh" moment, but wondered what was the worst that could happen? I had to walk to the neighbors in all my fuzzy glory to borrow a phone, to wait for someone to come out and break down my door? But no, to my surprise and horror, our bedroom window was open. I was able to climb through the window without incident. I immediately locked the window.

This Tuesday I had another moment. Quite frankly, I'm surprised it took a year. I locked Gavin in the car...sorta. We were leaving Target, and I put Gavin in his car seat so I could put the groceries in the back of the Tahoe. Gavin wanted to play with my keys, and I was happy to oblige. I finished loading the car only to hear the scariest, most horrible sound in the world. CLICK. Gavin locked himself in the car. I panicked. I pulled his door, and then I pulled it again harder as if that would open it. It still didn't open. I ran to the back and tried to open it, and then I ran to the other side and tried to open that door. No luck. By this time, I'm almost hysterical. I called Gary, and he said he would try to make it to Target as fast as he could. I knew Gavin wouldn't make it (he was starting to cry and look a little warm) I tried to call him and text him to tell him he was never going to make it. But, in his panic (and sprint through the building and the garage) he didn't get the message. What he did get was a ticket for going 72 in a 45. In the meantime, I called 9-1-1. They connected me to the fire department who came to my rescue. Four men pulled up in their giant firetruck, sirens blaring. One gentleman stepped off the truck with an axe. The older, more experienced guy peaked in at Gavin, who grinned as big as he could, and decided he was OK. He was going to call a service to open the door for free. While he was on the phone, another guy walked around the car...and opened the drivers door. Just like that. A few jokes were made, but I laughed awkwardly and got in the car and out of the parking lot as fast as I could. How embarrassing. How horrible! It's scary to think of the worst thing that could have happened. Hopefully, we'll laugh about this one day. And, hopefully, there won't be (many) more of these "uh-oh" moments.


  1. Hahaha - glad everyone was okay. Poor D! XOXO!

    We've all been there with our stupid stuff...once I locked myself out of my house while I was sunbathing in the a bikini that was 4 sizes too small (to get minimal tan lines). Had to walk down the block in nothing but an itsy bitsy bikini to get my creepy landlord to unlock my door. Mortified.

  2. Like mother, like daughter, like sister!! Haha. I think our mistakes are God's gentle way of showing us better ways to do things in the future or things not to do at all. I feel so bad for you being so upset, but, it will be a cute story to tell Gavin in a few years.

  3. OMG I was so scared while reading, then I started laughing hysterically. My husband was looking at me like I was crazy! He's like, are you having a Steel Magnolias moment? (you know when Olympia Dukakis says to Sally Field "Here, hit her!"...) LOL. I'm glad Gavin's ok. And you too for that matter!