Thursday, October 22, 2009

Random thought

I got angry today driving down the street. No, it wasn't road rage at the idiot that almost ran me off the road because he was texting or the guy going 20 mph in a 40 mph speed zone. I got angry because I saw a young girl sitting at the bus stop on a cold day, and I wanted to give her a ride to where she was going. But, ewwww! How creepy is that? "Hey little girl...do you want some candy???MUUUHAHAHAHA!!" Or, suppose I did give this girl a ride and she caused physical harm to me in some way? It's depressing that we live in a world where we can't trust each other. You can't genuinely help a stranger (or even an acquaintance or some family members) without fear that, at the very least, you'll be taken for granted and play the fool. Sure, I could join some organization, or send money to feed the starving kids in some third world country for the cost of a cup of coffee a day, but what about spontaneous random acts of kindness that give you the warm fuzzies? Gary told me the other day that Pete Carroll, USC's head coach, drives to the ghetto to talk to the young guys. He tells them to stay in school, asks them if they need anything, and gives them money...I admire that. But, am I going to do that...no. But, I will continue to be open to all opportunities that come my way. And, I will continue to celebrate all the beautiful things in my life...my wonderful husband, my sweet puppy and my son, the light of my life. I may even be open to joining an organization to fulfill my need to help in some way. Even if I have to give up my daily latte.

No comments:

Post a Comment